The Watch Towers of Ambolo and Portitxol were built in the 16th Century and their function was surveillance and maritime defence from pirate attacks. They are located on private property.
Another building which formed part of our Coastal defensive system is the Castell de la Granadella. The conserved ruins correspond to a small fortification in the shape of a "horseshoe" with exterior sandstone ("tosca") lining built in 1739 on an earlier tower from the 15th Century. A few meters from this building in quite good conservation condition, there is an water tank ("aljibe") with rectangular floor plan, which supplied the water to the Castle garrison which consisted of 3 men and 2 bronze cannons. It was destroyed by British troops during the War of Independence.